+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space

I have no title SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte's Avatar
    Canada...NOT IN RAY'S BED, HOUSE OR COUNTRY!

Dead Space

I suppose I can post a partial review of this game here.

Dead Space is a third-person action/horror/thriller (whatever you want to call it) game by EA...as Im sure most of you already know this.

I am only about 2 and a half hours into the game, but I think its a sufficient amount of time to get a taste of Dead Space. I can sum this game up in two words: Fucking Awesome! From the gameplay, to the graphics and sound, to the whole design, Dead Space succeeds in all of these departments. I havent played enough of the game to know the full story but from what I have played the story is quite deep and very engaging.

The gameplay is very well done. First of all, there is no HUD. Basically your HUD is built into your suit. The health bar is displayed in the form of lights on the back of your suit. The amount of ammo is displayed holographically on the gun. The same goes for your map, inventory, mission objectives etc. This works very well.

One thing Dead Space does nicely is integrating a store and workbench (for upgrading your weapons and suit among other things). These are scattered sporadically throughout the ship. You can purchase new weapons when they become available (assuming you dont find it laying around in a room). You can also purchase ammo, health canisters, new suit and more. You can also sell items from your inventory or store certain items in a safe. The work bench allows you to upgrade your suit, weapons and other things such as modules. Modules are almost like powers that you can possess such as Kinesis (picking up objects), Stasis (slowing down objects) and Im guessing more. In order to upgrade items, you need to either buy or obtain power cores. There is a variety options when it comes to upgrading. For example, when upgrading weapons, you can increase damage, the amount of ammo, rate of fire etc.

The weapons so far are pretty cool. Each weapon has an alternate attack. Some weapons seem to be more useful than others. Enemies are fairly tough. The only way to kill them is by dismembering their limbs. This adds a unique alternative to simply running and gunning. Most enemies you kill drop ammo, health or other items. You can find most of these items scattered randomly in hallways and rooms. You also find schematics (which basically unlock new items in the store) or audio/video logs (which are actually pretty interesting and help drive the story).

Mission objectives so far have been pretty standard. Obviously they are all story related. All good stuff. One thing I did notice is that there is a fair amount of back tracking. That seems to be what most other reviewers are saying...and most of them consider it to be a bad thing. I wouldnt say its a bad thing. Its maybe a little tedious, but every room you enter and hallway you walk, you get a bit freaked (for lack of a better term) because in some ways you dont really know what to expect.

Graphics...oh yes. The graphics are great. Most of the environments are on the dark side but they are excellent no doubt. Your character looks good...or the suit does I should say. The weapons and weapon effects are also nice looking. The enemies look pretty good. Nothing too special but then again I havent seen all the enemies yet...or weapons for that matter.

One ultra important part of this game is the sound. Wow is all I have to say. The sound is excellent. Without sound the game would only be half as scary. Everything from the ship ambience to the monsters shrieking, random objects being knocked around, ghostly whispering, tools falling etc...is just done superbly. The music works very well with the sound effects and the story. The music is dark and quiet when not much is happening. However, when something is about to happen, such as the appearence of a monster...then the music begins to build up. The music becomes intense...when there is an equally intense scene.

God damn...what a post. While this game is most likely being overshadowed by Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3...this is one hell of game and should not be missed. It seems like it will be quite a long game...and I can see how there would be replay value.

Oh and like I said...there's not much to say about the story since Ive only played for about 2 hours. It seems like its quite a deep story. So far Im enjoying it.

Update:
    I failed to mention a few things such as Zero Gravity, Melee and a few other things.

There are areas onboard the massive ship that you are exploring, where there is zero gravity. I havent encountered it all that much just yet but so far its pretty good. You'll see corpses floating around among other items. In order to move in zero gravity, you basically look at the surface that you want to reach and with Left Trigger and Y button, you basically jump in a straight path towards that surface. Of course you can walk around on that surface and your arent confined to simply just jumping around in order to get to your destination. Enemies move in pretty much the same manner.

There are also melee attacks for when you are running low on ammo or an enemy gets too close for comfort. There are really only 2 melee attacks. A right hook type of punch and a foot stomp. I havent really used melee attacks all that much against enemies. The punch I find to be fairly useless. The foot stomp on the other hand is pretty powerful against enemies that are crawling towards. There are times when enemies may actually jump on you and you are forced to shake them off by repeatedly pressing A before they kill you and desecrate your body. If you manage to shake them off, you are treated with a pretty kick ass melee combo. Melee attacks arent just for enemies. You will often find your self using the foot stomp to break black boxes which reward you with random items whether it is health, ammo or credits for the store.

Another cool thing that I forgot to mention is that there are some areas on the ship where you will have limited oxygen. You are basically presented with a timer that shows how much oxygen you have left (65 seconds is about what you start with). You can buy air canisters, assuming you dont find them, that help you get your oxygen back up if you are running low. There are a few oxygen stations here and there but not that many, to help you regain oxygen. One of your suit upgrades involves increasing the amount of time you have with oxygen when it comes to parts outside of the ship for example. However, one of the coolest things about these areas with no air, is the sound or lack of. When you step outside of the ship, for example, just about all of the sounds that you normally hear inside the ship become inaudible. You are basically left with only your own breathing (and grunts if you happen to do a melee attack) and heart beat. You can also hear the thudding of your footsteps or the slight boom of an explosion or the slight sound of your weapon. Its very well done thats for sure.

MIssion objectives are fairly varied and repitive at the same time. Most of your objectives (so far from what I have seen) involve making your way to one room in a certain area of the ship in order to find a piece of equipment, or a specific item, or to do a certain task like refuel or shut something down or turn something on etc. There are a lot of different varieties it seems like, however most are done in the same manner. You are given an objective (by pretty much only 2 people...from what it looks like so far), you then make your way through the ship, you find the item your looking for or the panel that you need to shutdown etc...and thats it. While this seems like a drag, its not. This is due to all the little or big things that the game decides to throw at you while you are trying to make your way towards your objective. Im not going to spoil it for anyone but there are some interesting things that they put into the game to keep it fresh.

Update 2:

Forgot to mention something. The game is played out in Chapters (12 to be exact). Every chapter takes place in a certain part of the ship. You never have the ability to go through the entire ship during one chapter and for good reason. Each section of the ship feels large enough, even with all the back tracking. To have the whole ship available to you at one point in time would have made completing mission objectives very tiring.

Camera angles and shit like that...its all good. Nothing to say here.

HG HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian is a God HaloGuardian's Avatar

Re: Dead Space

What does your sister think about it?

Cool Cool Cool

I have no title SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte's Avatar

She thinks its cool.

:)

Well...I beat the game. It was truly an awesome and epic experience. This game should not be missed. I'll definitely play it again here and there (between all the other damn games that I have and will have).

I never really commented much on the story because I wrote the review while playing the game. So I will now. The story is quite deep and fresh. There are some twists, some obvious and some not so obvious. The main story, however, is definitely an excellent one. Im hoping for some kind of sequel.

Oh and there are a few boss battles, which are fairly easy....but quite epic. Especially the final boss! Which was a bit of a tough fight at certain points.

Anyways I give the game a 9.4/10...the .4 was shoved in just to be cool.

Brad. iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp is a God iaacp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    the .4 was shoved in just to be cool.
    ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!!
    -Brad

Suf Jan Stevens and I, best bros for all eternity.

J U N E 1 9 , 2 0 1 1

Quote Originally Posted by iaacp View Post
    ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!!
    Thanks! I thought so too!

*sharpens claws while keeping an eye on iaacp*

Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427's Avatar
    Preparing to invade Canada, and Spider's Sister...

Bugs don't have claws.
    Yeah, I know!! My daughter took over my GT. Talk shit if you want, but she will kick your ass in Black Ops

I fucking do!

Senior Member PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER's Avatar

Well...I beat the game. It was truly an awesome and epic experience. This game should not be missed. I'll definitely play it again here and there (between all the other damn games that I have and will have).

I never really commented much on the story because I wrote the review while playing the game. So I will now. The story is quite deep and fresh. There are some twists, some obvious and some not so obvious. The main story, however, is definitely an excellent one. Im hoping for some kind of sequel.

Oh and there are a few boss battles, which are fairly easy....but quite epic. Especially the final boss! Which was a bit of a tough fight at certain points.

So how long?
    POOP!

It took me 10 hours in game time. It can be done quicker, I think...maybe even longer if you decide to explore a little more...but there really isnt much exploring. Its definitely worth those 10 hours imo.

I'm sleep. TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan's Avatar

How many chapters?

Im still not passed 5

12 Chapters

Awesomeness Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness is a God Dudeness's Avatar

This is my #2 game for this holiday season, maybe tied with GOW2. Fallout 3 takes the top spot.

Pizza: All 4 food groups.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one." Rush Limbaugh

Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427's Avatar
    Preparing to invade Canada, and Spider's Sister...

I fucking do!

Then you're not a bug, you're a rodent.
    Yeah, I know!! My daughter took over my GT. Talk shit if you want, but she will kick your ass in Black Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray427 View Post
    Then you're not a bug, you're a rodent.
    Nope...Im a bug with claws. A mutated bug. Is that so hard to understand in your old age?

a yellow man yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54 is a God yellowmadness54's Avatar

You beet it already. I hate short games :( or did you play it a whole lot?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmadness54 View Post
    You beet it already. I hate short games :( or did you play it a whole lot?
    Well it took me roughly 10 hours. I was lucky, I had that week off of classes, so I did get an opportunity to play more than usual.

Like you, I hate short games. However, I would have to say this is definitely one of the best short games I have ever played.

I'm sleep. TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan's Avatar

I don't know if 10 hours is short.

That's a pretty fucking intense 10 hours.

I'd rather have it be balanced and have a satisfying finish than for it to be a copy and past of the same 10 hours for say 30 hours.

Unless it's something like Oblivion, I'm not looking to sink my life into it.

Well it was a very intense 10 hours thats for damn sure.

I may have been wrong about FC2, this might actually be the best game ever.

GOTY at the very least.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information