+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SKull

Inquisitor fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula's Avatar

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SKull

This review will contain spoilers, so if you want to not know anything about the movie this is this short, non-spoiler review.

- It was pretty good, but not as good as the first three –

It’s taken me a while to write this, I guess I thought I had to think about it before writing the review, but then totally forgot about the movie all together.

The opening vision of Kingdom is the Paramount logo fading into the shape of a molehill. If you remember the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark, it was the Parmount logo fading into a real mountain. Don’t make a mountain of a molehill. Geddit? Geddit? … Me neither. I got a bit distracted in what Lucas or Spielberg were trying to say. Don’t make too big a deal of this movie? Don’t glamorise the memories of the older films? Just trying to be funny? It confused me.

It is of note that a CGI mole then breaks out of the molehill and chirps cutely. I guess making a CGI mole is cheaper then getting some sort of trained mole to come up out of a molehill. Or possibly there is no such thing as a trained mole. In any case, now I think that opening represents the movie quite well. A concept that doesn’t really work, yet tries to be similar to a previous concept except with lots of CGI.

Unlike Raiders or Last Crusade, this movie doesn’t deal with a religious artefact. It’s about a fabled crystal skull of Aztec origin. The legend revolves around returning the skull back to an ancient city and you will get amazing power. The ancient city turns out to be El Dorado. Indy meets Mutt who is the friend of an old colleague of Indy who was trying to find the skull and is now missing. Mutt is pretty attached to the old colleague and wants to find him so he tells Indy all about the skull. Together they try to find the friend and the skull while being chased by some Soviets lead by Cate Blanchett’s character, a kink Russian who thinks she’s a psychic.

The movie starts out in the 50’s. We know it’s the 50’s because scrolling text tells us so in the beginning. However in case some people don’t get it’s the 50’s, there are about 10 references to it in the opening minutes. Hot-Rods, Roswell, 50’s suburbs, diners and an atom Bomb. Our first glimpse of Indy is him getting thrown out of a car by some Soviets an putting his hat on. It’s a pretty good visual re-introduction to a cinema icons. But what follows is one of the most ridiculous openings in quite a while. Almost like sort of so bad it’s good, but kinda not. I won’t ruin the fun of it by detailing it too much … well I’ll ruin one bit. Indy survives getting blown up in an atomic blast by getting inside a fridge.

This movie is about aliens by the way. I’m not spoiling it by saying that, because the opening scene is in Area 51 and involves the above-mentioned Soviets getting Indy to help them steal an alien body. It doesn’t take too long to put two and two together and realise that this crystal skull they are after is not an artefact, but a real alien skull. And aliens came down and built the Aztec civilisation and taught them super duper advanced concepts like ‘roads’ and ‘writing’. Indy escapes from the Soviets and meets up with Mutt. I forget exactly why the Soviets are going for the skull as well. I think it’s because that Cate Blanchette’s character thinks the alien psychic powers will help the Soviets rule the world or something. Oh and there’s Ray Winstone’s character, at first he’s a long time friend, then he changes sides after 5 minutes. Then he changes sides again … and again. His character is annoying.

There’s a reunion with an older character, a waterfall scene, some other weird action scenes involving hidden Aztecs and booby traps. I won’t ruin the ending, but if a movie has aliens in it, then there is a certain ‘Object’ associated with aliens that appears in the end. Yeah, you know what I’m talking about.

So if you get the impression I didn’t like it, you’re right. I mean overall it isn’t a bad movie. It’s pretty good. The action is well directed, the acting is pretty good. The script was a bit clunky, but all came together ok. It’s just that it didn’t feel like an Indiana Jones movie. It did feel like they used a lot of CGI in some parts. The overall theme and feel was more like The Mummy or a bad Sci-Fi movie.

Anyway I’d give it a 2 and a half to 3 stars. An alright movie in it’s own right, but not any comparison to he previous movies.
    This is the best movie I've ever seen. It has a vampire and an explosion!

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SKull

I thought it was better than Temple of Doom.
    Worldleaders choose worldleaders, redefine the enemy
    - Atari Teenage Riot
    pragmatist

n : a person who takes a practical approach to problems
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself."
    - Albert Einstein

I have no title SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte's Avatar
    Canada...NOT IN RAY'S BED, HOUSE OR COUNTRY!

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SKull

I liked Temple of Doom...I thought it was good.

I enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was a fun movie ripe with cheesiness.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information