+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5 minutes to midnight

Worldleaders choose worldleaders, redefine the enemy
    - Atari Teenage Riot
    pragmatist

n : a person who takes a practical approach to problems
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself."
    - Albert Einstein

Senior Member Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware
    This is stupid,
    23:55??

In other words, the world according to these people, the world is 99.65% the way to nuclear oblivion? (based on the fact that there are only 5 out of 1440 minutes to go)

And they are supposed to be amongst the most intelligent people in the world? they've proved themselves wrong on that front.

According to these people, we are more at threat today than we were in the sixties and even during the cuban missile crisis when we literally were one move away from nuclear war- idiots.

Analrapist BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck is a God BillyBobRedneck's Avatar
    well the cuban missile crisis was over too quickly to really effect the hands placement on the clock

and whats the furthest its ever been, 17 minutes?

I'm sleep. TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan is a God TheZenMan's Avatar
    Whatever.

The true doomsday clock is Al Gore's. He says we have 9 years to live, so if this one isn't aligned with his, then it's wrong.

I'm sorry if that's inconvenient.

Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427 is a God Stingray427's Avatar
    Preparing to invade Canada, and Spider's Sister...
    TB, Perhaps you should reaserch the concept of the "Doomsday Clock" a little more.
    Yeah, I know!! My daughter took over my GT. Talk shit if you want, but she will kick your ass in Black Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray427 View Post
    TB, Perhaps you should reaserch the concept of the "Doomsday Clock" a little more.
    What he said.
    - Atari Teenage Riot
    pragmatist

- Albert Einstein

I have no title SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte's Avatar
    Canada...NOT IN RAY'S BED, HOUSE OR COUNTRY!
    I believe the song is called 2 Minutes to Midnight!!!

Not 5...losers!

Senior Member Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware Team Brian GB is so great, everyone in the universe is aware
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingray427 View Post

I'm well aware of the concept, but seriously. Whilst Khrushchev was in the Kremlin and Kennedy was in the White House, it was more likely that nuclear war would happen than the chance that it wouldn't, from 1960-1962 the world stood on the brink, every move Washington and Moscow made was carefully tailored to make sure that neither country started launch preparations. In Britain, RAF Vulcan bombers with nuclear weapons aboard were in the air 24/7 on standby for the go order. The cuban missile crisis ended late on Sunday night on the thirteenth day, if no consensus had been reached, at 10am EST the following morning the United States was going to launch a full invasion of Cuba.

12 hours from declaring nuclear war and starting World War Three, and these doomsday people think that today we are closer to nuclear winter than then?

And currently folks who despise western culture are getting their hands on nuclear technology while Israel is stirring shit up, the US is pissing off Iran and North Korea but unwilling to either be nice or to go in balls to the wall fucking shit up.

Tensions are rising and security is failing. Governments take action that makes matters worse because they started paying attention too late or are too stubborn to have given then needed (and worthwhile) concessions.

The Taliban is regaining lost ground in Afghanistan as well next to it's nuclear neighbor Pakistan who is busy taking part in a nuclear pissing match with India. All of these regions are in the right geographic neighborhood to take up lost/stolen/"misplaced" Soviet nuclear weapons.

You're trying to compare a time when only two nuclear threats really existed. That's quite different than it is nowadays.
    - Atari Teenage Riot
    pragmatist

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    And currently folks who despise western culture are getting their hands on nuclear technology while Israel is stirring shit up, the US is pissing off Iran and North Korea but unwilling to either be nice or to go in balls to the wall fucking shit up.

Tensions are rising and security is failing. Governments take action that makes matters worse because they started paying attention too late or are too stubborn to have given then needed (and worthwhile) concessions.

The Taliban is regaining lost ground in Afghanistan as well next to it's nuclear neighbor Pakistan who is busy taking part in a nuclear pissing match with India. All of these regions are in the right geographic neighborhood to take up lost/stolen/"misplaced" Soviet nuclear weapons.

You're trying to compare a time when only two nuclear threats really existed. That's quite different than it is nowadays.

I understand what you are saying but you are overstating the current scenario. Certainly the threat is growing and it is at its highest since the fall of the Soviet Union, though that doesn't mean that the current situation rivals anything seen in the late fourties or early sixties. We were almost waiting for nuclear war then and it is the eight wonder of the world that we pulled through. Yes, there is a miniscule but real chance that some rogue element somewhere will manage to get their hands on a nuclear weapon and use it in Wall street, Lafayette park or in Whitehall- but there is any chance of there being a serious exchange. Had one bomb been used in the cold war then missile reserves would be depleted worldwide in hours, no country would ever do that who has a serious stockpile.

A lot is made in the west about soviet missiles being picked up, but their security is much stronger than ours. Unlike the US, nuclear weapons (with the exception of the Cuban Missile Crisis) never left the soviet union, and when it collapsed all were returned to Russian territory or Russian controlled bases.

The World is a dangerous place, but it is safer than at any point during the twentieth century.

No, I am understating it. The Cold War was about posturing. The USA wanted to survive, the USSR wanted to survive. The people with nuclear weapons are growing to include those who don't care if they live or die. Iraq was invaded because it was supposedly linked to Al Qaeda and Afghanistan, will Iran or Syria be next?

I know the UK is somewhat used to bombings from the IRA but the enemy you are beginning to have to face now is more than a small island that's sick of some folks being dicks to them. Though some of your colonialism certainly has a play in it as well.

Also, USSR nuclear security wasn't as great as you claim, materials have slipped through the cracks.

To top some of those things off the USA has entered a nuclear trade agreement with India who is not a signatory to the non-proliferation treaty.

All of this is ignoring the environmentaql causes for advancing the clock cited as well.
    - Atari Teenage Riot
    pragmatist

- Albert Einstein

神の息 chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded's Avatar
    Meh...I'm moving to Nebulon 5 soon anyways...
    "Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear."

-The Baron

Reg cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74 is a God cursed74's Avatar
    Is that near the Nekbar system?
    GT:cursed74
    LXGJ:Pyrotechnics Officer

神の息 chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded is a God chunkreloaded's Avatar
    Why yes, it's in the Nekbar system, in the protosion 12.6 galaxy. I have family there.
    "Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear."

-The Baron

Senior Member PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER is a God PAINxKILLER's Avatar
    Ah yes, the doomsday clock...
    POOP!

Turning to the Darkside Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23 is a God Roguesqd23's Avatar
    I got a nice little laugh out of this when I saw it on the news the other day.
    "The Voice of the People"
    People's Liberation Army of Coloberta/Infraction Faction
    Originally Posted by Stingray427
    "We the when your house is on fire you to call THEM!!!"
    "Feel the Rhythm, Feel the Rhyme, Get on up, It's Bobsled time"

Old Man Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy is a God Söy's Avatar
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzIjcURetPI"]YouTube - Nuclear bomb tests[/ame]

I have no title SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte is a God SpiderByte's Avatar
    Canada...NOT IN RAY'S BED, HOUSE OR COUNTRY!
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkreloaded View Post
    Why yes, it's in the Nekbar system, in the protosion 12.6 galaxy. I have family there.
    I have a friend in the protosion 12.6 galaxy. He lives on Planet Orlok. Weird place.

My family is originally from the Gakor system in the galaxy Noma.......yup.

Inquisitor fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula is a God fibula's Avatar
    Isn’t this Doomsday Clock a bit negative?

I mean, yeah in reality the danger of nuclear apocalypse is high with the amount of weapons available and tensions across the world. And something people should be aware of in times of refelction

But for the last 40 years having a clock saying that humankind is going to be obliterated in ten or less minutes doesn't really show much hope or faith in humanity
    This is the best movie I've ever seen. It has a vampire and an explosion!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information